Varicose veins are more common in the lower extremities. When taking on the weight of the body and experiencing daily stress, the legs swell, hurt, noticeable mesh appears on the legs and hips.
The main risk group is women. Complex measures will help to get rid of an unpleasant ailment; in severe cases, minimally invasive techniques or surgical intervention are shown.
Causes of the disease
With excessive blood flow and difficult discharge, vessels deform, their walls become brittle and brittle, and damage occurs.
The veins dilate to form bluish knots that are visible under the skin.
Damaged blood vessels stimulate lymphatic congestion, the legs swell, the patient feels constant pain and heaviness, seizures may occur. The skin on the legs becomes thinner, flaky, and itchy. Most of the time, the calves and popliteal region are affected, but sometimes varicose veins affect the thighs as well.
Most often, the disease affects women. Patients are at risk:
- older than 30 years;
- who are overweight or obese;
- is pregnant;
- suffers from various cardiovascular pathologies;
- with hereditary predisposition to varicose veins;
- forced to stand a lot during work hours.
At the first signs of varicose veins, it is recommended to contact a therapist who will issue a referral to a phlebologist.
The sooner treatment of the disease begins, the more successful it will be. In the absence of timely therapy, dangerous complications are possible: thrombosis, eczema, tissue necrosis, trophic ulcers.
How to treat leg varicose veins in women?
The treatment of varicose veins in the legs must be comprehensive:
- In the initial stage, patients are prescribed venotonic and anticoagulant drugs in the form of tablets and capsules. Vitamin complexes are included in the therapeutic regimen; special preparations are prescribed to thin the blood. At this time, it is useful to use folk recipes that relieve swelling and improve blood flow.
- With severe varicose veins, conservative techniques no longer help. Possible sclerotherapy, which involves the introduction of a special adhesive into the affected vessels. This procedure is contraindicated in cases of thrombosis. At the same time, vein strengthening therapy is carried out to prevent relapse.
- If there is a danger of blood clots and severe venous damage, surgery is indicated. Under local or general anesthesia, the affected areas of the vessels are removed and sutures are applied to the skin.
The operation requires a long recovery period, after which it is necessary to follow the diet, give up bad habits and take medication to avoid further damage to the veins.
Now that you are a little more familiar with the question of how to treat varicose veins in the legs in women, medications are the next most important topic, which we will discuss in the next section.
The best drugs
The main task of a phlebologist is to strengthen blood vessels, normalize blood flow, eliminate pain symptoms and prevent complications.
It is not worth taking drugs without the supervision of a doctor, the wrong choice of drugs will bring more benefits than harm.
The doctor not only devises a therapeutic regimen, but also prescribes the correct dose and course.
- Venotonic tablets and ointments will help strengthen the vessels in the legs. The standard course of treatment is 2 weeks, according to the doctor's prescription, it can be extended.
- Oral medications are supplemented with ointments and gels.
- For pain and heaviness in the legs, external agents with anesthetics are used.
Ointments containing horse chestnut seed extract will help to cope with edema.
They are rubbed on the affected areas 2 times a day, from time to time you can make compresses by applying the medicine to a cotton cloth and applying it to the enlarged veins.
Improving the condition of the veins will help increase physical activity. This is especially important for patients who have to be on their feet for most of the day. A simple complex that can be done in the morning and in the evening will help to relieve muscle tension and normalize blood flow. The exercises will take 7-10 minutes, but you should do them regularly.
- You should start the complex with a light warm-up that warms up the muscles. Body curves and turns, hand and head rotations, leg lifts, various dance movements are suitable.
- Then continue with the exercise on the mat. The most beneficial movements are those performed in weight with the legs straight or bent.
- You can simulate cycling, bring your legs together and spread, raise them a few inches above the ground, raise and lower your pelvis from the supine position.
- Finish off the complex with a stretch that improves blood circulation. Plie (slow squats with legs wide apart), you lunge forward with your right and left legs alternately, stretching while standing and lying down.
This mini-warm-up can be done in the middle of the working day, the exercises improve well-being and activate blood flow.
How to treat varicose veins in women at home? For home treatment, recipes of traditional medicine are widely used. Especially useful are decoctions of water and infusions of medicinal herbs, which are taken orally, used for baths, lotions and compresses.
So, how to treat varicose veins in women with home remedies? Below are the most effective recipes that have helped more than one generation of women:
- With varicose veins on the legs, a decoction of horse chestnut seeds is very useful, which strengthens the vessels and prevents their deformation. A handful of raw materials is poured with a liter of boiling water, heated for 5 minutes, infused and filtered. The broth is drunk 2 times a day before meals, 0. 5 cups, the course of treatment is 10-14 days.
- Cold foot baths infused with oak bark, chamomile, string, St. John's wort, and banana leaves will help eliminate swelling. Herbs, taken in equal proportions, pour 2 liters of boiling water, insist in a thermos or under a lid and pour into a container. The procedure lasts 10 minutes, it is better to do it before bedtime, and then lubricate the limbs with venotonic ointment or gel.
- Stimulating decoctions of hop cones, sweet clover, hawthorn and rose hip, angelica root or licorice will help to remove adhesions and blood clots and accelerate blood flow. It is recommended to alternate herbs, drink 1-1. 5 glasses of broth per day, dividing the portion into 3 doses.
Women at risk should pay particular attention to preventive measures. Simple measures can prevent the deformation of the veins to avoid unpleasant consequences. You need to start by losing weight and normalizing nutrition. The daily diet should not exceed 2000 kilocalories; with age, this number gradually decreases.
The treatment of varicose veins of the legs in women requires including in the menu as many foods rich in fiber as possible: fresh vegetables and fruits, whole grains.
Instead of fatty meats, smoked meats, and sausages, the diet includes lean turkey, chicken, sea fish, and shellfish.
Low-fat fermented dairy products are useful: cottage cheese, homemade yogurt, kefir. Limit the amount of salt to 3 mg per day. This simple measure will improve blood flow and help prevent swelling in the extremities. To dilute the blood and strengthen the blood vessels, foods with a high content of vitamin C are useful: rose hip, sea buckthorn, citrus fruits, white cabbage.
Proper nutrition will help prevent chronic constipation, dangerous for varicose veins.
To avoid edema, it is necessary to limit the drinking regime, exclude strong tea, natural and instant coffee, carbonated and energy drinks.
All women prone to varicose veins should stop smoking and severely limit alcohol consumption. Nicotine and the products of combustion have a detrimental effect on the blood vessels, causing their deformation and fragility, increasing the viscosity of the blood.
Ethyl alcohol in any dose greatly dilates the blood vessels, causing a sharp flow of blood with consequent stagnation. Women at risk should limit themselves to 2 servings of alcohol per week or completely eliminate alcohol from the diet.
Compression stockings will help prevent varicose veins. Stockings, leggings, knee-highs, or leggings will distribute pressure, stimulate blood flow, and reduce swelling and pain.
It is better to entrust the choice of a model and its density to a phlebologist, you can buy leotards in orthopedic salons or specialized pharmacies.
Varicose veins are a disease that can cause many problems. Swollen veins spoil the appearance, cause pain and heaviness. Properly selected treatment will help alleviate unpleasant symptoms, and timely preventive measures will prevent relapses.