Varicose veins in men are as widespread as in women. Deformation of venous walls and impaired blood flow occur for various reasons, for example, blood vessels suffer from increased physical exertion and a sedentary lifestyle. With a prolonged absence of treatment, varicose veins in men can turn into complications, which once again confirms the need for a timely preventive medical examination. The use of drugs, the use of special underwear and surgery are the main methods of treating the pathology.
Causes of varicose veins in men
Doctors constantly remind their patients: if you ignore the influence of certain negative factors, men's health will be seriously affected. In particular, due to problems with the blood vessels, varicose veins can appear, which is the answer to the question of whether a disease such as varicose veins occurs in men.
Phlebologists explain in detail why the vascular walls of representatives of the strong half of humanity become thinner, and venous nodes appear visible to the naked eye.
Among the causes of varicose veins in men are:
- genetic predisposition (a person can inherit the weakness of the walls of the blood vessels or the failure of the venous valves);
- hard physical work;
- prolonged use of shoes that cause discomfort in the legs;
- lack or low level of physical activity;
- abuse of junk food;
- nicotine / alcohol addiction;
- increased blood viscosity;
- cardiovascular diseases;
- liver pathologies.
Obesity and heavy lifting are considered the most common causes of vein deformity. With the appearance of extra pounds, the vessels are further compressed, respectively, the risk of varicose veins increases significantly. The same applies to excessive physical exertion, in particular a passion for strength sports.
The definition of triggers depends on where the disease appears in the body. For example, with rapid weight loss or due to heredity, varicose veins may appear on the chest or abdomen.
Differences between female and male varicose veins
According to statistics, the appearance of stagnation of blood in the veins with the subsequent development of a varicose deformity is more common in women (in about 40% of cases).
The number of male patients after 18 years who have to face this pathology is 10-20%. This is due to the peculiarities of the functioning of the hormonal system.
The state of the blood vessels in the female body largely depends on the level of estrogen and progesterone.
With higher secretion of one of the hormones:
- the vessels dilate;
- increases the viscosity of the blood;
- increases the risk of blood clots.
Hormonal changes especially affect blood vessels during pregnancy and menopause. With cyclical changes in the phases of the menstrual cycle, the progesterone concentration first increases, then falls dramatically, after which the amount of estrogen increases. Also, hormone replacement therapy is prescribed for many women.
In almost 90% of cases, the appearance of varicose veins in women is associated with labor and delivery, while the veins of the lower extremities and the pelvic organs can be affected simultaneously.
Consequently, the main reason that men are less likely to suffer from varicose veins is the following: in the female body, the vessels are weaker due to the above-mentioned processes. In addition, in men, the skin is denser, which often does not allow to notice the characteristic vascular pattern of incipient varicose veins.
Degree and symptoms of pathology
The formation of clinical manifestations is due to the stage of the disease and the location of the problem areas. For example, the signs of varicose veins of the lower extremities in men intensify as the pathological disorder progresses.
The disease develops as follows:
- The initial phase is characterized by the presence of symptoms that the patient perceives as the consequences of overwork: heaviness in the legs, fatigue, swelling. Enlarged veins are possible in the popliteal fossa or in the ankle area. Night rest contributes to the (total / partial) disappearance of the listed signs, so men do not pay special attention to such changes.
- With the transition to stage 2, symptoms become more pronounced. The condition is accompanied by clearer discharge from the blood vessels, thinning of the skin, the appearance of dark brown spots, swelling, night cramps, as well as dermatological disorders in the form of rashes and itching. Painful sensations disturb, both when moving and during rest.
- Varicose veins in the later stages in men are complemented by trophic complications: ulcers, inflammation of the subcutaneous fat layer, lymphatic edema of venous origin.
Regardless of where the deformation of the vessels is traced, as the disease progresses, the vessels swell and take on a tortuous shape.
Types of male varicose veins
The disease can affect not only the veins of the lower extremities.
Representatives of the stronger sex face signs of varicose veins:
- in the hands;
- testicles (the so-called varicocele, which occurs in both testicles and in one);
- internal organs (esophagus, stomach, intestines);
- lower rectum;
- on the nose (rare location).
When the vessels in the arms begin to deform, most men ignore the changes, especially athletes. However, veins swollen with minimal effort should be alarming, as disease progression is fraught with disabilities.
Varicocele is a pathology that develops only in men and has symptoms similar to many other urological disorders:
- pain, aggravated by movement and during sexual intercourse;
- feeling of heaviness in the scrotum.
Varicose veins of the esophagus turn into heartburn, shortness of breath, pain, anemia. In the presence of a disease in the stomach or intestines, the signs are found in later stages, when the patient suffers from internal bleeding.
Due to the deformation of the vessels of the lower rectum (hemorrhoids), a man suffers from a number of unpleasant manifestations (constipation, rectal bleeding, painful discomfort, loss of lymph nodes).
Veins protruding from the abdomen do not always indicate varicose veins. It will arise only for certain reasons. For example, this type of violation occurs with addiction to alcohol and nicotine. In smokers and those who abuse alcohol, the blood is more viscous and the vessels and muscles are weakened, which increases the risk of varicose veins in the abdomen in men.
Any type of disease requires a timely course of treatment.
Why Varicose Veins Are Dangerous For Men
If a pathology begins, in addition to pronounced symptoms, various complications may appear.
Depending on the location, varicose veins can cause:
- thrombophlebitis, against which the probability of death of the patient increases;
- venous ulcers;
- bleeding due to ruptured blood vessels;
- mesenteric thrombosis;
- purulent paraproctitis;
- tissue necrosis.
If significant progression of the disease is allowed, a man is at risk of disability. In severe cases, death is not excluded.
In the early stages, treatment is carried out with drugs from various groups.
Patients are required to use:
- Phlebotonics that strengthen blood vessels and increase their tone;
- anticoagulants that reduce blood density;
- antioxidants that improve the structural parameters of the blood;
- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs;
- thrombolytics in the presence of thrombosis;
- drugs that normalize metabolic processes;
- vitamin complexes.
The list of drugs and doses is selected taking into account the triggers, the age category of the patient and the type of disease. Therefore, before treatment, a full diagnosis is made using laboratory and instrumental research methods.
Help from traditional medicine
Home remedies can help speed recovery, but remember they are a supplement to medication. It is best to use traditional medicine recipes for preventive purposes.
You can combat varicose veins in the following way:
- Boiling water (1 glass) is poured onto hazelnut leaves (1 tbsp. l) After 15 minutes, the infusion is ready for use. It is recommended to drink 3 to 4 cups a day.
- Twice a day it is useful to eat mummy (150 mg) diluted in warm water (1 tbsp. l. ).
- At night, it is recommended to apply sliced green tomatoes on the swollen veins. The duration of treatment is about six months.
- Raw potato tubers (4-5 pieces) are crushed, after which the mixture is applied to the affected areas of the legs. Plastic wrap is used on top. Wash off after 4 hours.
- Horse chestnut inflorescences (50 g) are poured with vodka (1 l) and infused for a week. The agent must be stirred periodically. Dosage: 3 times a day before meals, 30 ml. A course lasts 7 days with a 5-day break.
- Grated garlic (250 g) and honey (350 g) are mixed. After a week of infusion, the drug is taken at 15 g for 1-2 months.
Alternative therapy is effective for initial symptoms. If the disease progresses significantly, it will be useless.
According to phlebologists, the only way to get rid of varicose veins is surgery. It is true that its implementation does not guarantee the absence of relapses in the future. Success in treating varicose veins in men depends not so much on the actions of doctors as on the behavioral habits of the patients themselves.
Modern surgeons solve the problem with:
- microbands (excision of ganglia);
- burning venous nodular formations with steam;
- sclerotherapy (foam, radiofrequency, laser).
A positive point in the use of surgical methods is the fact that the operation often does not require hospitalization of the patient. Before being discharged, the doctor should list a list of recommendations that must be followed for a full recovery.
The food the patient eats is also important.
For boats to remain in good condition for longer, the menu should include products that contain:
- ascorbic acid (relieves swelling, strengthens vascular walls);
- vegetable fiber (useful for a good intestinal function);
- substances that improve the elasticity of blood vessels (shellfish are rich in them).
For the prevention of blood clots, it is recommended to consume anticoagulant products (flaxseed oil, fish oil, garlic, citrus fruits, oats).
It is advisable to stop eating foods that are harmful to the body. Thanks to a well-composed diet, you can forget about problems with veins for a long time.
Wearing a medical t-shirt is an opportunity to prevent the re-formation of varicose deformities after surgery. In addition, underwear with compression properties allows you to slow down the onset of the disease or completely prevent its development.
Similar products are presented in the form of tights, socks, golf, although they differ in the degree of compression:
- Preventive underwear (pressure gauge - 18-22 mm Hg). Class 1 knitwear is designed to be worn at the first symptoms.
- If varicose veins are moderately expressed, wear class 2 knitwear (up to 32mm Hg).
- In the presence of trophic disorders, the use of Class 3 products with a compression of 34-46 mm Hg is indicated. Art.
- Deep vein thrombosis patients require class 4 knitwear (greater than 46 mm Hg).
If necessary, the phlebologist will help you choose the right type of medical underwear. It is also important to familiarize yourself with the operating conditions of the jersey beforehand.
Benefits of ointments, creams for varicose veins
The therapeutic value of such drugs is determined by their constituent substances. Therefore, before using an external agent, you should consult a doctor.
For maximum effect, it is best to use the ointment in the first manifestations of the disorder.
Thanks to them:
- the fatigue, painful discomfort and swelling disappear;
- the vessels get stronger;
- small blood clots dissolve;
- the skin is hydrated;
- Increases muscle and vascular tone.
The use of the cream is prohibited for patients with:
- trophic ulcers, open skin lesions;
- individual intolerance to components.
Some phlebologists confidently say that external preparations are absolutely useless for varicose veins. They argue: if the veins are stretched, the situation can only be corrected with the help of surgery.
If a man is predisposed to varicose veins, he should pay more attention to preventive measures. In particular, wearing a medical jersey will help reduce the risk of vascular deformation.
Staying in a static position for a long time aggravates the situation, so it is necessary to take regular breaks, doing simple exercises.
This recommendation is especially relevant for office workers who have to sit at a computer most of the day.
In the list of mandatory rules:
- quit smoking;
- review of the nutritional diet;
- frequent walks in the fresh air;
- moderate physical activity;
- maximum preservation of a state of calm.
A contrast foot wash is helpful. If you have extra pounds, you should consult with a qualified specialist so that weight normalization is carried out by competent methods.
Since the disease is difficult to detect at an early stage, a regular examination will help detect vascular problems early.
Although varicose veins in men are less common, they can also have sad consequences if symptoms are ignored. Prevention will help prevent the development of pathology and surgical intervention will be required to eliminate a progressive disorder.